Books That I have Read So Far....

  • I haven't read any more books cuz I'm dedicating my free time to learning the ukulele
  • Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson
  • The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
  • A Long Way Gone, Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah
  • Night by Elie Wiesel
  • Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie
  • Atonement by Ian McEwan
  • Finding Fish by Antwone Q. Fisher
  • The Memory Keeper´s Daughter by Kim Edwards
  • The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
  • The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • The World According to Garp by John Irving
  • Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen

Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Rice n Beansssss

Hola! Sorry it has taken me this long to post something. I´ll start at the beginning...

On June 25th all of the costa rica volunteers flew to miami for two days of ¨staging¨ where we completed paperwork etc. It was fun but we were all just anticipating our arrival in Costa Rica.

On June 27th we all flew to San Jose and took a bus to a mountain retrat about an hour away from the airport. We stayed here for four days and participated in various activities to get to know eachother better and to introduce us to the basic things we will be doing. We also took our last hot showers for possibly two years. There are 18 volunteers working in community and economic development aka CED formerly known as micro enterprise development. There are also 17 volunteers that will be working in the children and yougth development aka CYD.

On July 1st we all left the mountain retreat and were dropped off in various communities about an hour drive outside of San Jose. I dont think i can say the name of the town that I am in for privacy reasons....sorry about that. Anway, I am with 5 other guys that are in the CED program and that are at about the same level of spanish as me and we all live really close to eachother in the community.

My family is awesome! My host mom´s name is Blanca and she is a housewife, my dad is Jimmy and he is an auto inspector. My brother who is 13 is Jimmy Henry which I misunderstood at first and thought was Jimmy Hendrix because its pronounced kind of like that. Haha, anyway, I have a 16 year old sister named Fiola and a 5 year old sister named Fiorella. Fiorella is so cute and she follows me around everywhere. Unfortunately I cant understand a word she says so most of the time I just end up smiling and nodding and laughing. I bought two coloring books before I left the states and gave them to the kids when I arrived. Fiorella has had one of the books, hello kitty themed, attached at her hip since I gave it to her.

Most of the food we have been eating is what I expected. For breakfast we have rice and beans and maybe a fried egg, for lunch there is rice and beans again with platanos which is a variety of banana that is fried and is really quite tasty. Then for dinner.....more rice and beans! I have also had arroz con pollo once which is rice with chicken and that was good too.

4 days a week we have spanish class from 8am to 12pm and then 1pm to about 230. It is pretty intensive and the teacher only speaks in spanish but does a really good job of making sure we can understand her. Once a week we have to take a bus to another town where all the trainees from both the CED and CYF program meet and we receive lessons together. The bus ride is about an hour from my community and costs the equivalent of about 70 cents one way. The buses are really crowded and the roads are really windy because we are up in the mountains so if you arent feeling well before you get on the bus then your in trouble for sure.

The town that I live in is bigger than most of the other training communities but I have not been able to tell how many people live here yet. This time of year is called the rainy season because it rains for about an hour every day. The day starts out sunny and hot, then at some point it cools down and rains, and then it gets sunny and hot again. Two days ago, the 6 of us were at the soccer field chalenging some local kids to a game of futbol, by the way they kicked our asses and were probably no more than 12 years old. Anyway, while we were playing the clouds started to roll in and since we are at such a high elevation being in the mountains, the clounds came in like fog.

I am having a really awesome time here so far! I will try to keep the updates coming but the internet here is not great so we will see.....

I hope everyone is doing well! Keep me updated on things that are going on in the US and what you guys are up to!

Much love!

Emily

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like u are having a blast!!!

Jean said...

Hi Em,
It's soooo great to hear from you and your adventures in CR sound amazing. 4th of July in HB were very patriotic; parade & fireworks at the pier. We miss you and can't wait to read more. Love, Bean & Jarry

nadia said...

hey hun! sounds like you're having an awesome time so far!!! your family and the town sound absolutely amazing. we all miss you here in state college!! looking forward to your next post! good luck and take care!

<3
nadia

Anonymous said...

dear emily
keep the poetry coming loved the clouds like fog mention.
Is it true, no more hot showers?
So glad your host family is great.
Do you think you'll be fuent in spanish by the end of your tour?

4th of July (that makes 27 years for us) here was incredibly gorgeous, we spent the day in Seattle, Pike Place Market, then up to the sculpture garden, as we left the boats in lake union were packed like a parking lot in anticipation of the fire works

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada. If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

Anonymous said...

Emmmcat,

Didn't know you already left! Your family sounds awesome - it's cool you are livig with kids so you can experience life in the town through diff. ages and be a big sis/mentor. Where are these alleged poems?? I must be missing something (what's new?). Glad you got there safely..I'll def. keep reading what you're up to. I just got to Houston (where it's raining nonstop...yay global warming...), and I start work in a few weeks. I'll keep you posted!

Miss you <3
Nittwhit

Dad said...

Hi Emily !!
It's been weeks since I talked to you and I am thinking about you every day. All is well here at home or should I say here at work, because it seems that I work all of the time. This Blog is cool to visit. It seems to be a good way to keep in touch with your family and other Nittwhits.
I Love You !!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm excited to read the rest of the posts...your family sounds fun. I love rice and beans :) xx

love, katie